PHILOSOPHYI believe in the power and joy of dance. I am passionate about promoting dance as an integral part of our next generation's individual lives and collective culture. My goal is to assist you in finding the right place to continue your dance studies-- in college and beyond-- whether vocation or avocation, and to help keep you "Dancing Through Life." I offer a unique perspective with my life-long involvement in dance, from the artistic/professional/educational viewpoint, as well as from the viewpoint of a parent of a dancer.
Member, Western Assoc. of College Admissions Counselors www.WACAC.org
I adhere to the Code of Ethics put forth by the Nat'l Assoc. of College Admissions Counselors
ADVISING SERVICESFor young dancers: summer intensives; performing arts high school choices; choosing high school course curriculum; four-year planning; trainee programs. For college-bound dancers: search to find the best college fit for values, skills, interests, personality and temperament using professional assessment tools.
For post-college and retired professionals: career planning; career transitions; career coaching.
My services complement rather than replace traditional high school-based college admissions counseling or career counseling at the college level. Advisor recommendations are provided on a ˇ§best effortsˇ¨ basis. Recommendations by the advisor are based on the accuracy of the information submitted by the Client.
- Pre-college checklists, summer intensives, workshops
- Types of programsˇXBA or BFA; conservatory or liberal arts
- Fit of student-to-program
- Clarification of goals, alignment of values
- Campus visit FAQ's
- Awards and scholarships info
- Auditioning tips
- Other routes to success (apprenticeships, training programs)
- Tabling: festivals/fairs/competitions
- pre-college action plan
- summer intensive search
- college search/ fit-to-program
- advising on audition/ application
- customized awards and scholarships information
- evaluation of talent / or suggest outside evaluation
- career transition advising for post-Bac's and retired professionals
- Certificate in College Advising, UC Berkeley Extension
- Certified in Strong Interest Inventory Interpretation by Judith Gruter, Assoc.
- 1985--MFA, Mills College, choreography /performance; Graduate Teaching Fellow
- 1975--BA, Theatre, Dance Emphasis --Cal State Univ. Fullerton; Creative Achievement Award in Theatre; Creative Achievement Award in Dance. Also attended UCLA. Professional Highlights
- Consulting for 5 yrs.; member of WACAC.
- Field work, Volunteer in College and Career Center of Terra Linda High School, San Rafael, Calif.
- Teaching: Pennsylvania Ballet School; Marin Ballet School; Centre International de la Danse (Paris), ABT II, (NYC)--Pre-professionals, Adults, Children (Jazz, Modern, Creative Dance, Adult Ballet).
- Arts Administration: Managed large CETA grant in Philadelphia bringing dance to the community / mentoring teachers.
- Performance: Joan Kerr Dance Co; Co-founder of City Dance Works; Free-lance and various musicals.
- Teacher training with Maria Vegh, Ann Green Gilbert Personal
- Parent of two: Daughter graduated from Juilliard; Son graduated from Whitman College in Anthropology, attending Univ. of Washington Law School
- Married 30+ years.
Contact MePhone: 415-686-3639